Amanda Gerdts is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a Clinically Certified Trauma Professional, and a Nationally Certified Counselor specializing in working with individuals, couples, and families in and around the greater Mankato Area. Amanda meets with her clients inside St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in lower North Mankato and at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in New Ulm.
“It is my goal in life to be real. Real Peace. Real Hope. Real Strength. I hope that through my life-touches that I might aid in helping others find peace within themselves and strength in the connections of their intimate relationships. I believe that relationships heal and have the capacity to heal. As a clinician, I help people improve the quality of their life through improving the quality of their relationships (both internal and external). I believe that growth is essential, can be graceful, and is designed by God.”
Amanda helps with a wide range of mental health concerns such as (but not limited to) anxiety, depression, marital discord and care, trauma recovery, parenting, work and stress management. She has a passion for and high level of training and experience in working with couples toward health, healing, and connection. She also specializes in working with all types of trauma and knows first hand that recovery, hope, and resiliency are real! With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
This year Amanda celebrates 11 years of marriage with her husband; she knows first-hand the joys and difficulties of sustaining health in marriage. In her daily work as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, she assists couples in crises who are trying to save or enrich their marriage. With a passion to preserve families in this time when family disintegration is a real and pending threat, Amanda helps assist couples in this healthy premarital state to equip for future challenges.
“I bring to my clients a passion for research, knowledge of theory, effective clinical tools, and a solid moral compass.”
Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling from Minnesota State University, Mankato.
As a Nationally Certified Counselor, she has passed all the standard clinical and educational requirements for the “…largest and most prestigious counseling certification board in the world.”
The rigorous training and supervision that the Board of Marriage and Family Therapy requires makes her especially qualified to honor her passion of competently and gracefully serving families and couples, as well as individuals and groups.
Trauma competency is vital to working with individuals and couples, so being a Certified Clinical Trauma Professional points to Amanda’s tools, skills, and compassion for working with all levels of trauma. Often low level traumas feed our anxiety and/or depression.
- “Prepare & Enrich Building Strong Marriages” Group Program, 8 hour premarital, marital, or mixed options
- “Premarital Foundations” 8 hour Premarital Investment Class, individual couples or group options
- “Prepare & Enrich Facilitators Program” Learn and get certified, 8 hour, for pastors & professionals
- “What Can I do When My Emotions Get Hijacked? Dealing with Intense Emotions” one hour, any audience
- “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” one hour, any setting, couples
- “Communication Excellence” one hour, any audience, can be corporate
- “Communicating Intimacy Marriage Enrichment Workshop” Weekend or formatted to fit
- “Intimacy and Communication Workshop” 1/2 day premarital, marital enrichment, or combined
- Comprehensive Integrated Approach to Couples Intimacy & Sexuality: Sex Issues in Couples Counseling
- Using the DSM 5 for Revolutionizing Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- The 10 Core Competencies for Trauma, PTSD, Grief & Loss
- Evidence-Based Treatments and Interventions
- Anxiety Treatment that Really Works
- EFT Learning Group: From Becoming an Emotionally Focused Couples Therapist
- Collaborative Couples Counseling
- Building Strong Foundations: Early Childhood Mental Health Training
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy: The Power of Attachment and Affect
- Minnesota Mental Health and the Law 2012
- Shifts in Attachment Relationships Between Older Teens & Parents: Guiding the “Child to Adult” Transition
- Safety Net, Please
- Beyond the Yellow Ribbon: How Clinicians can Help Combat Veterans and Military Families
- Play Based Crisis Counseling and Play Therapy with Traumatized Children
- Using Play Therapy Techniques in Family Therapy
- ACT Model & Approach: Acceptance and Behavior Training
- New Trends in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- DC 0-3 Diagnosing Infants and Toddlers